Sunday, July 09, 2006

Viva Italia!

I've never seen a city so crazy over the World Cup (except I'm sure many European cities!). It has been crazy here ever since it started but today I felt out of place not draped in an Italian or French flag! After the game today people were parading through the streets totally blocking traffic. At one point I thought there was going to be a riot between some Italian and French fans.
Tonight I went to the Jazz Festival again with a couple friends. It was the last night so the streets that were blocked off for the festival were jam packed with people. It was insane! My friends had to leave early because they work early tomorrow so I decided to stay downtown and listen to some more music since I have tomorrow off. I'm glad I did because I had a great time. I met a couple of guys - Guillaume (un Quebecois) and Garreth (a kiwi). They were friends who had met while both were in Australia. The were entertaining for awhile but I lost them when I went to look at the souvenirs. I said I'd try to find them but knew there was a slim chance of that happening in the crowd. I want to be here for the festival again next year! It's such a cool atmosphere with good music and public drinking...it was like one gigantic beer tent! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far! I'm dying in the humidity up here...damn frizzy hair! Miss you lots and lots. Less than one month until I come home! I can't wait for the beach!

Love, Lynds

1 comment:

The Girls said...

aaYeah same here. Yesterday before the game MC and I were down at the Rideau centre and there were guys running through it with Italian flags shouting Ole and then some girls wearing France jersey's started yelling back. MC lives very close to Little Italy so you can only imagine what it was like here afte the game. Horns, people in the back of pick up trucks, insanity. I also can't wait for the beach.